Because it is possible for wisdom teeth to come in at any time, though they typically appear around the ages of 16 to 25, many people believe that the only way to know they are there is through x-rays taken by their dentist once a year. However, there are actually many signs you can look for that can clue you in on whether or not your wisdom teeth are coming in. Today, Dr. Rudy Wassenaar is blogging from his Williams Lake, BC office to talk about some of the warning signs for incoming wisdom teeth and some of the potential problems you may face because of them.
Statistics show that about 30 percent of the population of North America are born without wisdom teeth. Unfortunately for the remaining 70 percent of us, we were less lucky. As you can see, the chances of your wisdom teeth erupting at some point are very high. For some patients, these teeth can come in without any problem. However, it is more likely that they will need to be removed in order to prevent dangerous oral conditions such as periodontal disease and crooked teeth. Your wisdom teeth may even become impacted, meaning they were unable to completely erupt from your gums.
Some signs of impacted wisdom teeth that you will want to look for include:
These symptoms are usually a good sign for whether or not your wisdom teeth are beginning to erupt. Should you experience any of them consistently, then you may want to consider a wisdom tooth extraction. You may want to proceed with this treatment quickly as impacted wisdom teeth can have many negative effects on your smile. For instance, impacted wisdom teeth can actually crack or chip your other teeth. Should your wisdom teeth fail to erupt completely, you may even end up developing tooth decay as these teeth can be hard to keep clean. In the end, it is simply better to have these teeth removed early before they have a chance to develop into a real problem.
If you currently reside in the Williams Lake, BC area or any of the nearby areas and your wisdom teeth are currently coming in, then you should contact our office to schedule a no-obligation wisdom tooth extraction consultation with Dr. Rudy Wassenaar. Dr. Wassenaar has the knowledge and experience required to properly assess your condition and, using the information obtained from this meeting, will be able to determine whether or not you will benefit from a wisdom tooth extraction. Please contact us today so that we can help determine the best way to address your needs.
249 Barnard Street
Williams Lake, BC V2G 1G1
Monday: 7:30AM – 4PM
Tuesday: 7:30AM – 4PM
Wednesday: 7:30AM – 4PM
Thursday: 7:30AM – 4PM
Friday: 7:30AM – 12PM